Very recently I took a trip to Pondicherry (I prefer this over Puducherry, don’t know why). Since we were there for only a brief period, we decided to make our trip to Auroville a quick & brief one. In the visitor’s centre, amongst many other pictures & writings, this dream is what I could connect with the most.
“Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.”
In the rapidly changing world all around me, I witness people becoming more self-centric and less sensitive towards their fellow human beings. But some days, a simple gesture by an ordinary mortal from this ‘bad’ world makes me feel that goodness still prevails :).
A few such gestures of goodness I witnessed during the last few days:
- A traffic policeman helping two ladies and the 3 kids with them, to cross one of the busiest roads in the city I live in.
- The laundry man I give my clothes to press refusing to take my advance payment. He said,” kaam karne se pehle paisa lena accha nahi lagta”.
- One of the autowalas from the auto stand, from where I take my daily auto to office, reminding me that I had to get back Rs 10 from him, when many others chose to forget it in the same scenario.
- My otherwise stingy landlord & landlady offering me to use their kitchen when I could not get a refill of my LPG cylinder.
- The vegetable selling boy near my home, who has a bright smile on his face every day, without fail. He very often asks me to pay the bill later when neither of us have the required change.
- Saw a friend of mine buying a packet of biscuits to a physically disabled beggar, instead of giving him a coin.
Till people like them exist, I am sure goodness shall prevail and so will humanity.