I am quite behind the actual schedule in posting under the KINDNESS CHALLENGE (2016) but I am committed to complete it for sure, come what may! 😛 Following the required things under the challenge is being done by me without fail, however, I am not being able to post them, for reasons I don’t want to bore you, my readers, with.
Anyhow, for the 2nd week of the challenge, I had to observe kindness around me. I always love noticing the little, kind gestures people show each other spontaneously. In today’s world, people are taken by surprise more with acts of love & kindness than that of hate and negativity. I can go on and on about the wrong & chaotic things happening all around us and the newspapers, TV news, crime-related shows, social media only adding to the negativity around me. However, if we look for good things, we will find many, for there are still many people to restore our faith in the humanity & kindness of people.
Sharing below some random acts of kindness I noticed around me –
- A traffic policeman helping an aged lady cross the road in the midst of the morning traffic, all the time holding her hand. The look on her face was so comforting 🙂
- A person waiting for me to turn the car around a steep corner; he was patient enough to let me get through my lil’ bit of struggle….I guess the “L” sign on my windshield helped too! 😛
- My colleagues helping me with relevant handouts during my preparation for an internal examination at my office.
- Someone I know welcoming a stray puppy to her home.
- Some colleagues in my office giving money to a service staff guy who had passed his board examinations so that he can buy some sweets to take home.
- A home baker cum mother of a senior of mine coming down to deliver her cakes personally whenever I order from her; she says, “she feels happy when her work is appreciated” 🙂
- A fellow driver switching off the engine at a traffic signal; in the hot weather, it’s a rare thing to see someone thinking about the environment. 🙂
……..and there were more such small but significant acts of kindness, which definitely made a difference in the life of the receiver. When others are kind to us, we feel obliged/ encouraged/ motivated to do the same for others. I hope people continue to spread the love & kindness and make this world a better place to live in, for all of us. 🙂
Taking moments out to enjoy little things in my life and observing kindness around me definitely made my days happier & positive too. And the takeaway from this week would be that – kindness should come much more naturally to all of us! 🙂
The only solace comes from simple acts of kindness.
They are the tiny, flickering candles
in a cavern of darkness
that sustain our common humanity.
~ Christopher Hedges ~